PDA

View Full Version : hdn_ravine

Darkhand
27th January 2010, 02:36
I was looking for mods to play recently and came across Perfect Dark: Source. Brought back memories of Perfect Dark on the N64, with the DataDyne Corporation, Carrington Institute, etc. After checking it out, I noticed that some fantastic mapping went into the mod... it's a shame it didn't take off so it could be appreciated. I found the map Ravine to be really interesting, and it seemed to be well proportioned for a Hidden map. So I've tried to 'Hiddenize' it!

I haven't been able to get a hold of the creator yet; the mod really seems to be dead right now. For all I know they may not want the map played in another mod. If so, at least it was good practice for me. :) Of course I take no credit for the design of the map. I've just been fixing all the decompiler errors, essentially recreating the entire map brush by brush, fixing/adding to nodraw areas on roofs that people weren't meant to go in the other mod, etc. A remake of the map more than anything.

As good as the geometry is, the lighting left something to be desired since it was designed with HDR in mind... it was pretty bland in that department when played in LDR... so I wiped out every light and started from scratch. I've spent a ton of time trying to light the map properly without HDR, while attempting to 'theme' it for H:S at the same time. It's nowhere near the playtesting stage but I thought I'd show some of the more complete areas as far as lighting goes.

The map is rather different from most Hidden maps; Ravine takes place in, well, a ravine. A huge fissure in the earth has opened up, exposing a chasm of red hot lava. The DataDyne Corporation seems to have set up a facility among the fissures, and the Hidden was recently detected heading there. What is DataDyne doing in the area and why is the Hidden interested in them?

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/darkhands/Ravine/hdn_ravine_teaser.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/darkhands/Ravine/hdn_ravine_d200024.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/darkhands/Ravine/hdn_ravine_d200008.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/darkhands/Ravine/hdn_ravine_d200013.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/darkhands/Ravine/hdn_ravine_d200011.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/darkhands/Ravine/hdn_ravine_d200003.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/darkhands/Ravine/hdn_ravine_d200001.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/darkhands/Ravine/hdn_ravine_d200010.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/darkhands/Ravine/hdn_ravine_d200009.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/darkhands/Ravine/hdn_ravine_d200007.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/darkhands/Ravine/hdn_ravine_d200004.jpg

Plude220
27th January 2010, 14:54
Wicked lookin map I dont remember this map from PDS but it looks great for a hidden map somethin different than were used too nice idea darkhand.

Dont forget to add Pallets:)

Darkhand
27th January 2010, 16:33
Dont forget to add Pallets:)

I knew I forgot something! :D

[TSAT]Flow
27th January 2010, 18:48
I hope you added jimmy and an xbox aswell... :D

Darkhand
27th January 2010, 18:54
Flow;148839']I hope you added jimmy and an xbox aswell... :D

Now that I didn't forget. :cool:

Plude220
28th January 2010, 00:39
Has anyone thought to skin a xbox 360 and add it to maps xbox is outdated :p.

[TSAT]Flow
28th January 2010, 05:07
I actually had a crappy PS3 skin for a while, now it's an xbox with bloody handprints and guts smeared all over it... :D

Specht
28th January 2010, 10:29
The mod is not 'officially' dead, we still have one or another guy working on it, but it's going slow, REALLY slow, slower than Ging! :D

I could contact the creator of the maps for you if you want.

Darkhand
28th January 2010, 12:44
I could contact the creator of the maps for you if you want.

That would be awesome! I'd feel alot better with a nod from the guy instead of just working on it without knowing anything.

Ging
28th January 2010, 18:14
Has anyone thought to skin a xbox 360 and add it to maps xbox is outdated :p.

At this point, we'd just go for a fat ps3, which would have the same impact.

salith
29th January 2010, 12:12
Or a Wii that always maxes out at 1 damage :)

Ice1
29th January 2010, 13:34
Looks fully sick as a hidden map! I forsee many lols from falling in the lava! hehehe. Can't wait to play it!

[TSAT]Flow
29th January 2010, 17:36
I see a lot of "RAAAAAAAAAAAAGE! WHY CAN'T I CLING ON THE ROCKS?!", to be honest... D:

Zabiela
29th January 2010, 21:25
Those are some great looking rock textures.

Darkhand
29th January 2010, 23:55
Flow;148863']I see a lot of "RAAAAAAAAAAAAGE! WHY CAN'T I CLING ON THE ROCKS?!", to be honest... D:

Hmm, I could cover the contours of the more difficult-to-cling-to displacements with thin nodraw brushes... Can the Hidden cling to nodraw/invisible brushes?

Paegus
30th January 2010, 18:23
90% yes
10% try it and see

Darkhand
1st February 2010, 14:50
For the record, VMPI (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Vmpi) is awesome... I've got 8 cores chipping in on the compilations now... my main system (2), downstairs PC (2), home laptop (2), and two work laptops (1,1). Has cut build times from 6 minutes down to 2. Might not seem like alot, but it makes a big difference when you've compiled over 40 times to tweak things and check the results. :D

Lighting is around 80%, ambient sounds are 95% or so, the big todo is clipping off/modifying the top of the outside areas, since it wasn't designed with such freedom of movement in mind.
And why have secret rave rooms gone out of fashion?! I'll have to do something about that. >:)

Specht
1st February 2010, 15:07
Can that VMPI or something similar be used for renders in 3Ds? My little brother is making a render for a company (so proud of him, he's just 17), and it takes a whole week for a simple short render.

Darkhand
1st February 2010, 16:32
Can that VMPI or something similar be used for renders in 3Ds? My little brother is making a render for a company (so proud of him, he's just 17), and it takes a whole week for a simple short render.

Looks like it:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=5582272&linkID=9241177
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1504535357878931189#

Ging
1st February 2010, 18:31
Autodesk provides backburner by default with all installs of 3DS Max, it's a distributed rendering system, though it's not so useful for stills as it's best used for rendering out sequences of individual frame images (which you then put together in a video editing suite).

Darkhand
3rd February 2010, 13:08
I'm doing all this tweaking to the map and I haven't even playtested it yet... For all I know it could be too big and not play well! So I'll be running a playtest on the Super Server tonight around 6pm Central time!

Known issues:

-Skybox areas aren't clipped off yet; as Hidden be careful around the tops of the rock faces that border the sky, or you'll fall into a nodraw/skybox crevice and get stuck

-Displacement terrain is tough to cling to, I'm working on fixing that with invisible brushes up against the tough spots that give the Hidden something to stick to.

-The large platforms suspended above the lava are very open and exposed. The difference in platform height might be enough, but some of the lower ones may need some kind of obstacles on them to provide cover (I'm thinking some large crate/piece of machinery lowered down by a crane that's positioned above the map at the edge of the ravine).

-Spawnpoints haven't had much thought put into them yet. The Hidden spawns are as far away as possible from the current IRIS spawn but they may all need some work

Paegus
3rd February 2010, 21:06
i don't remeber if you can make the displacement brushes illusionary... because doing that and then planting a nodraw behind them...

Darkhand
4th February 2010, 01:25
First playtest was a success!

It's sized ok if the server is full, but quickly gets too large as the player population goes down. Going to remove a bit of the map, I think a somewhat redundant area can go without affecting much. Have to see how it affects the flow though.

Found a couple interesting texture issues, some spots you can get stuck on, all the regular testing things. Was fun!

Paegus
4th February 2010, 08:05
any chance of a dynamic map?
aka one that shuts off sections that are ultimately superfluous but useful when there's enough players.

Darkhand
4th February 2010, 14:08
any chance of a dynamic map?
aka one that shuts off sections that are ultimately superfluous but useful when there's enough players.

That would be neat, but is there any way to reliably detect the number of players in a map per round?

EDIT: I could see it being done pretty easily with Sourcemod support, but not sure if there's anything lurking about someplace like in logic_auto that already does it.

Paegus
5th February 2010, 07:24
i think you need 3 entities, plus the barriers which spawn in-place on map start.

Cover the IRIS spawns with a single trigger_multiple. OnStartTouch(All?) triggers a logic_math(?) with Add 1. logic_math value changes trigger logic_case with the math's current value. logic_case's values enable or disable various barrier entities or just closes or opens various doors.

the only drawback is that you have to disable the trigger_multiple correctly otherwise if players go back to spawn... so you need to make 1 continuous brush then Disable the trigger when OnEndTouchAll (or whatever) would solve that. or have a timer since they all spawn at roughly the sme time.

if you can't get it working i can send you a vmf with them... assuming i can find it

Darkhand
8th February 2010, 22:33
Haven't got the dynamic map idea working quite yet, but I've been fixing stuff as well... Extended the tops of the cliffs in skybox areas and clipped them off, sewed up a few rogue displacements, fixed some terrain issues, made the glass in the IRIS spawn area breakable, but only by the Hidden (before it was pigstickable, now it's knife slash/grenade only), tweaked the embers above the lava, fixed some lighting origins on some of the prop_static rocks embedded in the terrain.

Still need to see if I can get the dynamic size stuff working, fix alot more rock lighting origins, modify/change spawn points, and re-do the lighting in the hot spot lava room... It's not quite spooky enough yet/lots of origin issues on the rocks. And add in the super secret rave room!
Probably one more alpha version on the super server, then a beta release!

Darkhand
17th February 2010, 14:48
Getting ready for alpha 3, lots of work done... I can't even remember it all. :)

Redid the lighting (yet again) in the hot spot and lava pool areas

Tweaked the ambient sounds again, and fixed some that were already there but didn't work.

The ravine is now more unstable! Occasionally there will be small quakes when walking along the catwalks over the lava, which will then groan and strain. (I might even make the hidden be able to partially collapse the catwalks... Not enough to impede the flow of the map (those walkways are a big chokepoint), but enough that the iris have to jump.)

Fixed alot of unsewn displacements and misaligned textures that were in the original map

Added a vent to a potentially campable hallway to give the hidden more access. (There are broken steam pipes already there, thinking about adding a valve to the vent that could increase the pressure and cause the steam to burn anyone in the hallway, but need to test it more and see if the vent helped on its own)

With the large-volume env_dustmote brushes I'm using to simulate flecks of lava/embers in the air, I seem to be running into a particle limit; other particle emitters (env_spark, env_embers) aren't displaying as many particles as they should and display intermittently, even in areas where the lava flecks aren't being rendered at the moment. All the emitters seem to be fighting over some max particle budget. Is there a hard limit on particles per second in the EP1 engine I should be staying under?

Ice1
26th February 2010, 12:07
Hey darkhand ya still doing this map?

Darkhand
26th February 2010, 13:25
Yep, tested alpha3 on the server last week, good except I left temporary spawn locations in the map for when I was cordoning the iris spawn, so the hidden was occasionally spawning right next to the iris. :)

The map is pretty playable now, but I'm still missing the dynamic spawn elements, can't quite get it working on my own yet (paegus?). Also need to add the ubersecret rave room!!!1!

Specht
1st March 2010, 13:47
Sorry for taking so long, been travelling and stuff, but here it is:

Iggy diz:
well that's okay and all cool man
as long as he doesn't tells it's his map

Darkhand
1st March 2010, 17:41
Sorry for taking so long, been travelling and stuff, but here it is:

Iggy diz:
well that's okay and all cool man
as long as he doesn't tells it's his map

Sweet! Of course all credit where credit's due. Thanks so much! :cool::cool::D

Darkhand
20th June 2010, 11:40
Finally got crackin' on the map again... mostly cleanup work. Other than the dynamic map size idea, it's just about nearing completion. The room itself isn't even in yet, but I also worked on the overly complicated system that allows access to the rave room. :) It takes IRIS and Hidden teamwork to do it, ensuring folks don't go there when people want to actually play.

-SM-SUCKER
20th June 2010, 14:02
Hidden teamwork

Explain please.

Paegus
20th June 2010, 18:35
the hidden has to do something that only the hidden can do and iris have to do something that only iris can do?

Darkhand
21st June 2010, 03:12
the hidden has to do something that only the hidden can do and iris have to do something that only iris can do?

Yep!

Colonel Mustard
22nd June 2010, 08:14
This looks so sick, i cant keep my hand out of my pants! (no pun intended)

-SM-SUCKER
22nd June 2010, 09:52
Ok, thanks. I was thinking about multiple Hiddens all the time...