PDA

View Full Version : Using stats to capture BHS/Cheaters

-SM-SUCKER
17th January 2009, 12:10
The stats system is a great tool to gather further info about players. Especially about new players.
If someone has only 6 deaths, he surely has not played (on this account) for a long time. And if his IRIS (s)kills are a lot higher than his Hidden (s)kills you could think, that he sees the Hidden somewhat better.
Now would it be possible, that the stats system warned us about players that start playing this game and accumulate IRIS kills very fast without dying as IRIS AND not doing well when Hidden?

if (iris_deaths<10 AND iris_kills>10 AND hidden_kills<20)
then alert_The_Dark_Prince();

Possible?

chilly
17th January 2009, 16:38
The stats system is a great tool to gather further info about players. Especially about new players.
If someone has only 6 deaths, he surely has not played (on this account) for a long time. And if his IRIS (s)kills are a lot higher than his Hidden (s)kills you could think, that he sees the Hidden somewhat better.
Now would it be possible, that the stats system warned us about players that start playing this game and accumulate IRIS kills very fast without dying as IRIS AND not doing well when Hidden?

if (iris_deaths<10 AND iris_kills>10 AND hidden_kills<20)
then alert_The_Dark_Prince();

Possible?

Easily doable, however there is a risk of false positives and unwarranted banning. I'm reluctant to do this. Imagine some guy is messing about on a private server with his friend and they are practising or something.

[TSAT]Flow
17th January 2009, 16:56
I don't think a n00blet would set up a private server and connect it to hidden-stats... :rolleyes:

-SM-SUCKER
17th January 2009, 17:27
Easily doable, however there is a risk of false positives and unwarranted banning. I'm reluctant to do this. Imagine some guy is messing about on a private server with his friend and they are practising or something.
I'm not planning on banning people just using stats, except teamkillers.
But it could tell us to watch out for certain persons. The new ones we could tell to update their drivers before they either decide to hide it or to bin the game because it's bugged.

Wuped
17th January 2009, 18:08
I agree, would like.

Zabiela
17th January 2009, 23:18
Flow;143488']I don't think a n00blet would set up a private server and connect it to hidden-stats... :rolleyes:

No the logic behind it is the noob gets practice on a private server, then when he joins a ranked server he is already good.

chilly
18th January 2009, 15:17
I'm still undecided tbh. It's obviously a handy tool but at the same time I dont want to unfairly influence player treatment.

The.ViruS
18th January 2009, 16:25
Theres 2 issues I see with implementing something like this and both could happen either to me or my friend.

1st. I have had 3 Steam Accounts banned for varioues reasons, so I would have 3 SteamID's registered for me. Say i started playing on the New SteamID I already know how the game works and I could possibly get flagged up for this.

2nd. My mate didnt have a PC of his own but played Hidden on mine and got pretty good. Now say he bought HL2 now hes got a PC he could also get flagged up.

It could be a helpfull tool but may not be reliable.

-SM-SUCKER
18th January 2009, 16:55
To reduce those false positives of new accounts of experineced players the Hidden kills are also checked.
Just a suggestion, though.

Genre
19th January 2009, 00:28
Another thing that comes into play is when players forfeit hidden selection. I've come across new players who've seen friends play before, and forfeit to get better at spotting before they try the hidden aspect of the gameplay.

Also, weighted selection could throw this off, as you may get the kill on the hidden, but no opportunity to up your 617 kills due to another player winning selection.

-SM-SUCKER
19th January 2009, 07:16
Another thing that comes into play is when players forfeit hidden selection. I've come across new players who've seen friends play before, and forfeit to get better at spotting before they try the hidden aspect of the gameplay.

Also, weighted selection could throw this off, as you may get the kill on the hidden, but no opportunity to up your 617 kills due to another player winning selection.
That's why the deaths as IRIS are considered as well. New guys die far more often than killing the Hidden. They would go unnoticed.

Another thing that would be great to see is a hit percentage.
Is it possible to track the shots fired/ammunition left versus the hits?

Ging
19th January 2009, 09:06
Is it possible to track the shots fired/ammunition left versus the hits?

We don't log the firing statistics atm, so not with the current version it's not, no.