PDA

View Full Version : Slot Reservation

Specht
14th December 2008, 22:56
Just a quick doubt, does the slot reservation kick system have some specific targets? Like people with high ping? Because I've never seen anyone being kicked by slot reservation, except myself :D

Darkhand
14th December 2008, 23:25
Depends on the plugin and the settings used... You can kick by highest ping, longest/shortest connect time, random, and other things. I can't stand getting kicked for a reserved player, so I make sure to have no reserved slots on my server, not even for myself.

Specht
14th December 2008, 23:33
Depends on the plugin and the settings used... You can kick by highest ping, longest/shortest connect time, random, and other things. I can't stand getting kicked for a reserved player, so I make sure to have no reserved slots on my server, not even for myself.

Thanks for the answer, no further explanations needed.

Scuzzy
15th December 2008, 10:32
We have far too many people that want in the box in order to not have reserved slots, even with running two hidden servers. Anyone who donates to the [o-t] using the forums reoccurring donations system (http://forums.oldtimersclan.com/payments.php) automatically gets a reserved slot in all 8 servers though, which many players have taken advantage of. Our system doesn't boot people that are in the server though (for high ping, etc), only those connecting if regular slots are all full.

Scuzzy

Paegus
15th December 2008, 12:47
if you're using static reserved slots then wouldn't the server just register as full when all the reserved and non-reserved slots are taken? and doesn't that also mean that in the absence of anyone with reserved slot access, you cannot have a full server?

Specht
15th December 2008, 13:40
What made me think about it was that I was playing at your server Scuzzy, for the first time, nice server by the way, I was having fun there, racking a lot of kills, and then *puf*, dropped due to slot reservation, then I thought that such thing probably happens to me all the time because of my regular ping on US servers (around 170).

Scuzzy
15th December 2008, 16:08
What made me think about it was that I was playing at your server Scuzzy, for the first time, nice server by the way, I was having fun there, racking a lot of kills, and then *puf*, dropped due to slot reservation, then I thought that such thing probably happens to me all the time because of my regular ping on US servers (around 170).

I can check the logs, but I can assure you it didn't happen during a round, the system isn't setup to do that. It probably happened during a map change. We've had people ask how they work, specifically, in our environment before and we did make this FAQ on the subject:

http://forums.oldtimersclan.com/faq.php?faq=ot_faq_start#faq_ot_reserved_slots

We don't kick on ping through. The reserved slot count was 4, it's now 2, but it could go back to 4 for the hidden pretty quickly depending on what the clan decides. If you get kicked for Reserved slot chance are a lot of other people are as well, and if you join the other server we have chances are others will join quickly.

Paegus,
Hiding the reserved slots doesn't work, so they do remain visible as open slots to users.

Scuzzy

Paegus
15th December 2008, 16:38
yeah. visiblemax players is what the client's see so they can't get in :/

I tried having it that way on CC but i'd rather have players being kicked than having a server with only 5 players if there aren't any resers in it. it would probably work better if there were substantially more regulars as those are the people who i add to the res list.

i suppose one of these days i'll have to write a plugin that automatically grants reserved access to players who frequent the server... but i'm lazy.

Wuped
15th December 2008, 17:19
Meh, I figure people can wait. Although sometimes I totally rcon kick someone and leave a message that it's due to reserve slots so I can join.
>_>
<_<