PDA

View Full Version : Physing

BobBarker
11th December 2008, 18:24
I have seen Phys videos but I can't seem to do it. The person grabs a object and turns extremely quickly and lets go, I know that. But I can't seem to do it. I practice on empty servers but nothing!

Tips please?

[TSAT]Flow
11th December 2008, 18:28
Keep practicing...

Genre
11th December 2008, 18:40
It all comes down to practice. That's it. Pick up an object, throw it, all the while trying not to get hit.

BobBarker
11th December 2008, 18:42
But that's the problem!!!

I can't do it even though I practice alone in a controlled environment.

My prop's don't fly like i see in videos, they just kinda go hey, you, i'm coming for you. I fail at it!

Genre
11th December 2008, 18:45
Practicing alone only helps so much. Go into a real game, and start practicing that way. Yes, you will die often.

Zabiela
11th December 2008, 19:20
Yes, you will die often.

People who avoid dying at all costs, do terrible with phys, because they never have the courage to actually do it.

You dont know how many times noobs call me a noob for not slashing, just throwing things and dying early.

The most lethal technique is the mouse flick, it gets the props going the fastest, the problem is its very difficult to aim this way. Usually I try to get right next to the iris and flick something into them.

Pouncing and throwing the prop straight is the easiest to pull off, as you can aim visually. Its also the easier for the iris to shoot you if you do it this way though, and it (usually) does small damage, in the 5-30 dmg range.

My favorite technique requires the hidden, the prop, and the iris lined up in a line with the prop in between the two players. You pounce toward the iris, look down and grab the prop, and before you land you look straight forward quickly and release the prop, if you do it right the prop flies straight at the iris, and most of the time does 100+ dmg.

A lot of people like grabbing a barrel, pouncing high above an iris, and flicking the barrel straight down, if it lands on the head usually it does 100+, and it looks hilarious from another players perspective.

-SM-SUCKER
11th December 2008, 19:25
Try not to aim at first. Use the objects as distractions. Fling them from behind cover to avoid getting shot.
The faster you turn, the faster the object will be. Just make sure you release the object while still turning, like a discus thrower.
(to release the object hit the primary attack button, usually left mouse button)

blak
11th December 2008, 19:27
I'm slowly perfecting the art of getting 100 damage barrel kills with no flick whatsoever :P

You have to catch them with the very edge of the barrel.

Oh yea no one mentioned you've got to hit with the sharp side or corner for maximum damage!

Genre
11th December 2008, 19:36
You don't need to hit them with the corners/edges for maximum damage if you can throw hard enough ;)

poliq
11th December 2008, 19:57
Tip#1: Turn up your mouse sensitivity! This way you can build up more momentum with your weapon of choice, whit less struggle.
To give you an idea of what my settings are, I can do approx. a 1800 degree spin on one mousepad. Thats five 360 degree spins!

Tip#2: Pounce both over and past objects (as previously mentioned) and get rid of the in the air. Don't focus too much on where the props are flying.
This way you and the props seldom travel in the same direction, and you are less likely to get spotted and/or shot.

I was going to go deeper into it, but I think I'll just stop here for now. :)
If you are unsure of what I mean, take a look at my videos in my signature.

Best wishes!:)

PS: May you evolve into an evil physhidden!:eek:

PPS: Welcome to the forum! :D

Paegus
11th December 2008, 19:58
I can't do it even though I practice alone in a controlled environment.

Start the game > Create game > pick a map (that isn't ovr_) > when the game starts you'll get a "need more players" warning. open your console with the ` key. that's the Accent Grave NOT Tilde. (if nothing happens go to Options > Keyboard > Advanced > check Developer Console) > in the console type: mp_roundtime 5400;mp_timelimit 0;sv_cheats 1;bot_add > become hidden by restarting the round with hdn_restartround in console > practice throwing stuff without worrying about being shot at.

not as fun as practising online and you probably wont pick up some of the more nuanced methods of pouncing past a crate and flicking as you pass but it's a good place to start.

BobBarker
11th December 2008, 20:33
I managed to get some kills on bots with a downward motion, aiming is SO HARD! I figured I could jump over them instead of straight up so i can release at a better spot. And that I release when my mouse is pretty much all the way down, else it goes forward and off a roof :(

Specht
11th December 2008, 21:32
I managed to get some kills on bots with a downward motion, aiming is SO HARD! I figured I could jump over them instead of straight up so i can release at a better spot. And that I release when my mouse is pretty much all the way down, else it goes forward and off a roof :(

You have to practice the timing, depending on the server I am at, the timing always changes, but once you get enough practice, aiming won't be a problem anymore, all you will need, is to know where the I.R.I.S is at, then you flick it towards where he was the last time you saw him, without even looking at him to see if it's gonna hit, and instinctively, you will hit him. (That's still a bit random for me, sometimes I hit, most of the times I miss)

Darkhand
11th December 2008, 23:45
Plus I've noticed that bots seem to 'desync' from their actual position sometimes... You throw a box at them and it passes right through. If the box hits their 'real' position though (which appears to be empty) they zip right back to that spot and take a hit. That makes it tough for me to practice physing alone until I sync the bot up with his actual position.

Paegus
11th December 2008, 23:48
yeah their phys shadows don't update with the player models.

but for initial practice purposes that's not so important.

ProgrammedToConsume
11th December 2008, 23:55
My favorite technique requires the hidden, the prop, and the iris lined up in a line with the prop in between the two players. You pounce toward the iris, look down and grab the prop, and before you land you look straight forward quickly and release the prop, if you do it right the prop flies straight at the iris, and most of the time does 100+ dmg.

This can be done without the IRIS and the prop aligned. All you need to do is pounce, look down, and look up quickly when you get near them. Doing that has never done less than 100 for me. I think I have a video of that somewhere.

Edit: Wow, I'm incredibly stupid. 0:29 of the video of my sig shows what Zab and I are talking about.

Note: Bobbing the pallet around often makes people miss, in which case you get a good laugh. Despite this, it is a horrible idea to charge straight at them unless they're out of ammo or you want to show off how bad their aim is.

Zabiela
12th December 2008, 03:21
Edit: Wow, I'm incredibly stupid. 0:29 of the video of my sig shows what Zab and I are talking about.

Oh wow you barely look down in that one. I gotta try that.
Because the way I do it is in one pounce- pounce, pickup, look straight, throw.
But you already had the object in hand, pouncing around, looked down and back up quickly.
hmmmm

My mouse sensitivity is 4, i guess i'd better get used to it higher. (edit: i forgot mouse sensitivity is relative)

Wuped
12th December 2008, 03:25
My advice is quantity over quality of objects thrown untill you get better, also learn to hit e then release so fast you can pounce around throwing objects without holding them for any length at all. To get better I suggest going a couple days playing phys only regardless of how bad you may do.

Genre
12th December 2008, 03:48
Mouse sensitivity is a good thing to pay attention to, I like mine high. I max out my windows dpi and I play with my sens at 17. Grabbing props isn't an exact science, you don't even have to aim directly at it to pick it up.

Specht
12th December 2008, 03:56
But you already had the object in hand, pouncing around, looked down and back up quickly.
hmmmm

My mouse sensitivity is 4, i guess i'd better get used to it higher. (edit: i forgot mouse sensitivity is relative)

The one you do is great for surprising the enemy, he won't even have time to think that pallet that was at 3 feet from him had just been lifted... (Riki taught me that one).

My mouse sensitivity is 10.0 in all source games, so lucky me, I didn't have to get used to another sensitivity to physkill. :D

Wuped
12th December 2008, 04:43
Mouse sensitivity is a good thing to pay attention to, I like mine high. I max out my windows dpi and I play with my sens at 17. Grabbing props isn't an exact science, you don't even have to aim directly at it to pick it up.

Mines pretty low, I used to play super jacked but then I found turning it down and moving the mouse itself fast gave me more control where my objects go, so use whatever you feel comfortable with.

Hannibal
12th December 2008, 06:52
and make sure your ping is not around 170...you Will be a noob at physkilling, Wuped and Genre can confirm.

lcpuche
12th December 2008, 13:17
physing is tough stuff! but even trying and failing is fun

ProgrammedToConsume
12th December 2008, 18:56
hmmmm

It's not really about how far you look down but how fast you do it, anyway. I got the idea from doing it how you do and decided to give it a shot pouncing. To test it I just created a LAN server then "sv_cheats 1;bot_add;bot_mimic 1;bot_mimic 2" made me a steady bot to do stuff to.

BobBarker
12th December 2008, 21:08
My mouse sensitivity is 3, else i cant aim well.

poliq
12th December 2008, 22:46
Freeze, I'm Bob Baker!
Put your hands in the air, give me all your money!

du-du-dum,
du-du-du-du-dum..

-SM-SUCKER
13th December 2008, 01:28
My sensitivity is set to 3 as well. Problem here is that there are many other "sensitivities", the ones windows use, and the dpi your hardware has.
You could always try to play with a higher sensitivity, try if it helps in accelerating objects.

poliq
13th December 2008, 03:02
Problem here is that there are many other "sensitivities", the ones windows use, (...)
Then say it like I did before:)
I can do five 360 degree turns in game on one mouse pad. :cool:

Wuped
13th December 2008, 04:01
Then say it like I did before:)
I can do five 360 degree turns in game on one mouse pad. :cool:

How big is your mousepad?

[TSAT]Flow
13th December 2008, 10:48
The cursor moves 10 pixels if i move my mouse 0,68cm :rolleyes:

blak
13th December 2008, 10:53
i move my mouse 1 cm i turn 360 degrees D:

poliq
13th December 2008, 13:01
How big is your mousepad?
Pretty much standar size. It's a steelseries pad, but i've lost that rubber mat, so i have to shove it under my laptop to lay still! :D
That leaves me approx 21.5 cms to play on! :)

And Blak: I hope that is BS:eek:

Digit*
13th December 2008, 19:31
And Blak: I hope that is BS:eek:

It is, even if his nerves can withstand such a delicate sensetivity of movement there is simply no gamemouse that is programmed (or even able) to make such a movement.

Again it's not the human body that poses the limit but technology.

Paegus
13th December 2008, 20:11
if the ingame sensitivity is high enough you can move the mouse a millimetre and your view will spin out of control. try sensitivity 99 or something. then add acceleration to that so you can aim slowly

BobBarker
14th December 2008, 01:53
Freeze, I'm Bob Baker!
Put your hands in the air, give me all your money!

du-du-dum,
du-du-du-du-dum..

Who is bob baker?

And thanks for the tips guys, I personally liked the looking down then forward.

Digit*
14th December 2008, 09:10
Fascinating...i wonder what kind of physkill results that would produce. :eek:

OFF TO TEST!

blak
14th December 2008, 10:14
Best make a demo ;)

Wuped
14th December 2008, 10:20
You like pickup the barrel at the edge and click really fast so instead of flicking for momentum you get it as the barrel centers on your crosshair, it's more annoying then just flicking anyways. Also fun thing to try: Put 2 boxes next to eachother pounce over them and try and throw them both at something while going over them, it's hard.

Cyborg
14th December 2008, 18:56
I prefer the straight down throw in open areas because it's guaranteed that the object will be thrown pretty much straight down. You can only look straight down, so that's where the barrel goes.

Another thing I try to do is line up the IRIS in increments of 90* so that when I move the mouse it's a movement I've done many times before. Muscle memory for the win!

Wuped
15th December 2008, 17:37
I prefer the straight down throw in open areas because it's guaranteed that the object will be thrown pretty much straight down. You can only look straight down, so that's where the barrel goes.

Another thing I try to do is line up the IRIS in increments of 90* so that when I move the mouse it's a movement I've done many times before. Muscle memory for the win!

Problem with straight down kills is if you have one or two good players in the area and you try this you will usually die.

[TSAT]Flow
15th December 2008, 17:40
Distraction is the key! :rolleyes:

Genre
15th December 2008, 18:38
Problem with straight down kills is if you have one or two good players in the area and you try this you will usually die.
I know this very well from experience :confused:

Zabiela
15th December 2008, 18:44

Not untill youve exploded three of us. :p

The top-down throws seem to be more gibtastic than pallets even.

Wuped
15th December 2008, 19:25
Oh ya the other problem is you never get food like that ):

Zabiela
15th December 2008, 19:30
You should change your status to "physer of noggins"

Wuped
15th December 2008, 19:41
No, I like hitting people in the shins with a xbox/pallet and watching them explode.

Darkhand
15th December 2008, 20:08
That pallet shin attack is deadly! That's why I seek to destroy all pallets! :D

Wuped has founded the Pallet Preservation Society in response to my violent acts against the poor creature. For only 20 cents a day, you too can help a defenseless pallet remain safe from the scourge of my P90.

Zabiela
15th December 2008, 20:18
For only 20 cents a day, you too can help a defenseless pallet remain safe from the scourge of my P90.

Do I get pictures and monthly letters from my pallet?
Can I eventually send him to loadbearing college?

Genre
15th December 2008, 20:19
That pallet shin attack is deadly! That's why I seek to destroy all pallets! :D

Wuped has founded the Pallet Preservation Society in response to my violent acts against the poor creature. For only 20 cents a day, you too can help a defenseless pallet remain safe from the scourge of my P90.
Save your ammo, smash them with your ass!

Wuped
15th December 2008, 20:31
Save your ammo, smash them with your ass!
You can't, I steal them before you land on them.

[TSAT]Flow
15th December 2008, 20:41
Nope, I'll gut you with it without breaking it before you're even close! :D

P.s.: And yes, we're talking OverRun here! ^^

Genre
15th December 2008, 20:41
You can't, I steal them before you land on them.
The ones I do manage to get are worth every donut.

Darkhand
15th December 2008, 20:48
Flow;142520']
P.s.: And yes, we're talking OverRun here! ^^

:O Hidden vs Hidden phys-match to the death! :eek:

Wuped
15th December 2008, 20:59
I swear to god next person to break my pallets is getting cexec'd with extreme prejudice, they're my babies.

[TSAT]Flow
15th December 2008, 21:12
:O Hidden vs Hidden phys-match to the death! :eek:

Never experienced the fun of gutting one of your fellow subject when trying to murder the last IRIS within 5 seconds of time left? Lucky you...

Wuped
15th December 2008, 21:36
Flow;142525']Never experienced the fun of gutting one of your fellow subject when trying to murder the last IRIS within 5 seconds of time left? Lucky you...

I've never really played ovr for me then 3 seconds...

[TSAT]Flow
15th December 2008, 21:53
It can be fun with the right people on! :D

Meat
18th August 2010, 20:40
How do you physkill? Do you flick ur mouse and left click, or flick the mosue and press e or what? I've been trying to ask on the servers but everyone ignores the noobs and i cant find any videos!
EDIT: sorry, nevermind, i found a video. what im confused about is the "sharp side blunt side" things. Wheres the sharp side on a barrel? the two circle shapes on either side? and are the sharp sides on a pallet the corners?

Sniper
18th August 2010, 22:17
Wheres the sharp side on a barrel? the two circle shapes on either side?

Yes.

and are the sharp sides on a pallet the corners?

Yes, and the entire outside in between the corners too.

The sharp sides of objects are the smaller sides.

Colonel Mustard
19th August 2010, 00:07
it doesnt REALLY matter if you use sides or corners what matters more than that is if the object is facing up or sideways. sideways obects are generally better for side throwing and upwards facing objects are better for down throwing. But then again it doesnt really matter ^^ if you can throw it hard enough itll kill em' :)

P.S. i've seen you on the servers but i just guessed you weren't interested in learning how to phys like all those other nubs :D come by and i'll teach you some tricks sometime.

Meat
19th August 2010, 00:55
AHAAAAA i think i got it down, i was able to get a few physkills on other people. I even made someone explode! Were your guys' first physkills this exciting?
EDIT: so for boxes, are all the sides "sharp" or just the actual corners?

Conroy
19th August 2010, 01:11
AHAAAAA i think i got it down, i was able to get a few physkills on other people. I even made someone explode! Were your guys' first physkills this exciting?
EDIT: so for boxes, are all the sides "sharp" or just the actual corners?

dont care too much about the sharp/blunt stuff... its not really making a difference except for the pallets maybe. You can use all props for physing from all directions

Orfn
19th August 2010, 04:15
My first phys was orgasmic. I'd been watching Mustard do it to people for about an hour or two one day and went into a different server and did it to someone in two tries. Granted, he was just standing there and we were trying to figure it out together.

A few months later Mustard started teaching Neon and I how to do it right. I'm not extremely consistent yet but I can usually phys half or more of a server of nobodies.

biohazard-uk
19th August 2010, 08:44
I can't even remember mine :confused:

Invader_Zim
19th August 2010, 08:55
I can't even remember mine :confused:

Ye me neither... wasn't all too special

What I do remember is that Hannibal taught me...
That was back in the days when the "Ban Hannibal for BHing" war between TDP and Hannibal took place...

Good times :)

Colonel Mustard
19th August 2010, 18:31
I think I remember mine :eek: idk, I remember when I was learning. Noone really taught me but I played with Ritalin a lot, so he could count as my inspiration. :o

Specht
19th August 2010, 22:05
My first physkill I still didn't know how to side throw and stuff, so I just did normal throws, took me a lot of throws with the xbox to finally kill the guy. :p

Zabiela
20th August 2010, 05:58
throw
throw
throw
throw
throw
thr-SPLAGHT
throw
throw

I dont really "aim" with phys, but thats the general pattern.

Colonel Mustard
20th August 2010, 23:07
throw
throw
throw
throw
throw
thr-SPLAGHT
throw
throw

I dont really "aim" with phys, but thats the general pattern.

sure you do :) and its less throws than that :eek:

FFAF
25th August 2010, 00:13
Like Flow said, just like always, a stupid amount of training will get you wherever you want.

If needed, i can show you some stuff in a private session!

Rush
18th September 2010, 00:51
i have both of those old videos that i forget who are made by ( use to know ) that are really instructional lmk if u want

Colonel Mustard
18th September 2010, 02:20
are they perhaps riki's? :confused: