PDA

View Full Version : Team Aura concept...

Paegus
8th December 2008, 00:24
So i'm testing a team based aura thingy that shows health. the iris get + signs and the hidden's get hearts.
here's (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WFAzU3EnEgA) a demo video.

Pros:
Both IRIS and Hidden players can see their team-mates through walls ala Beta 6's proposed Electronic Aura.
The icons are coloured like the normal hidden aura. red, orange and green.
The icons pulse faster the lower their health is.

Cons:
Visual block problems. same thing with normal Aura. if the player it outside of the area your client is rendering, you can't see it.
Looks clunky. perhaps someone will make better ones.
Requires file downloads to see the hud sprites

BiPP
8th December 2008, 01:11
Put the crosses over their heads :)

Nice idea, I'm quite pro to it.

I would put this kind of HUD in option in the equipment, between the adrenaline and the sonic trip alarm ;)

Paegus
8th December 2008, 02:13
yeah, i can't add anything to that menu.
though i could have it enabled only for hidden and say support iris, or who've picked the sonic alarm etc.

and i've raised it to be above the IRIS head or in the Hidden's chest.

was also thinking of enabling it for dead players like scuzzy's hidden-trail. though i'd need to boost the hidden's flicker rate to make it practical.

Specht
8th December 2008, 03:50
I don't know, but it kinda kills that feeling of hearing someone being hurt by the hidden, and you run to save him, but you don't know exactly where they are, and when you get there, there's just a body...

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: But yeah, another pizza wouldn't kill me.

/ate pizza the whole day

Darkhand
8th December 2008, 16:35
Even though it's not possible on this version of the engine, the l4d-style outline tracking would be neat.

Wuped
9th December 2008, 00:01
I don't really think this is very necessary in hidden, won't run on my server but still cool.

Ging
9th December 2008, 01:27
Even though it's not possible on this version of the engine, the l4d-style outline tracking would be neat.

That's always been the vision for the aura in all honesty - just a case of figuring out the technicals of it (Vampire: Bloodlines did something similar, which is where we got the original thought from)

TheOtherDante
9th December 2008, 02:25
im for that from the first time it was suggested or mentioned in another thread, but i want to add some thing... is there a way to have the radar reflect the same concept, with the colors of the people changing accordingly.

Paegus
9th December 2008, 03:54
i can't think of a viable way to alter the radar hud elements... sorry.

TheOtherDante
9th December 2008, 16:24
oh then could you add like a solid black one when someone dies that goes away after the hidden begins to feed on that body, or after a time.

Paegus
9th December 2008, 16:33
Hmm well i might be able to locate the corpse but idk... kinda ruins some of the hidden's fun no? though it would be fun to see it being flung about...

TheOtherDante
9th December 2008, 17:00
hmm i guess...

Zabiela
9th December 2008, 19:19
By the way paegus you'll never get ideas implemented if you offer pizza as an alternative.

Paegus
12th December 2008, 17:48
i know... yummy pizza. i'm gonna order some for dinner :)

anyway i've sort of changed it to being dead only with no team requirements. it also doesn't show for the player you're looking through (if any) though it's getting to be a bit too similar to scuzzy's hidden trails only with less wackiness/annoyances with those follow beams.

see if you can spot the funny: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=M5bB8ENIe2k

ProgrammedToConsume
12th December 2008, 18:51
That's always been the vision for the aura in all honesty - just a case of figuring out the technicals of it (Vampire: Bloodlines did something similar, which is where we got the original thought from)

The new particle effects on the Ep2 engine would make the aura look cooler too, right?

Both IRIS and Hidden players can see their team-mates through walls ala Beta 6's proposed Electronic Aura.

Good to know people are thinking ahead.

Ging
12th December 2008, 23:39
The new particle effects on the Ep2 engine would make the aura look cooler too, right?

Hopefully so, yes - once we've fucked about with the particle editor and figure out it's nuances.

Good to know people are thinking ahead.

He's right, B5 has basically been and gone - it was just a private release to the hiddenites.

ProgrammedToConsume
13th December 2008, 17:50
Hopefully so, yes - once we've fucked about with the particle editor and figure out it's nuances.
Good, good, it'll also open the door for an easy achievement system, correct? If so, in before shitstorm.

He's right, B5 has basically been and gone - it was just a private release to the hiddenites.

Why must you tease us so?

-SM-SUCKER
13th December 2008, 18:50
I like the idea. Hope to see it soon, and B6 would be ok as well :)

Paegus
16th December 2008, 16:34
should be running for admins on CC already. you just need to download the tracker sprites here (http://files.filefront.com/trackersprites7z/;12644946;/fileinfo.html)

vlees91
17th December 2008, 07:37
I like it.
Maybe considdering doing it like in Left 4 Dead? (no, no healthbar from every IRIS member on screen but I mean the border of your teammates that can be seen throught the walls.)

Paegus
20th December 2008, 15:14
if you'd read the thread, you'd know that (1) yes that would be great and (2) it's not possible at the moment.

though i'm curious what the other admins think so far. It's great being able to just watch someone and know pretty much instantly if they're bull and ban them there and with without having to review the demo (which should still be recorded :)) but i'm a bit worried about the less obvious, possibly good tracking types as i find that the sprite distracts me from the refraction quite a bit.

opinions?

Wuped
20th December 2008, 15:16
Sounds great and such.